[R] load data for mypkg-Ex.R

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Fri Feb 27 22:15:01 CET 2004

You mean,

    example(foo,local=TRUE)

?

Roger Koenker <roger at ysidro.econ.uiuc.edu> writes:

> On a related note.... is there a convention for cleaning up the detritus
> after running
>
> 	example(foo)
>
> I suppose sometimes users would like to have access to the objects
> that were created in the course of this, but perhaps more likely they
> would prefer that they were vaporized.   I'm finding this also an issue
> in writing vignettes,  but my main concern is finding a good way to
> handle this in writing .Rd files.
>

> url:	www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger/my.html	Roger Koenker
> email	rkoenker at uiuc.edu			Department of Economics
> vox: 	217-333-4558				University of Illinois
> fax:   	217-244-6678				Champaign, IL 61820
>
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Jason Sinnwell wrote:
>>
>> > Using R 1.7.1 in Solaris
>> >
>> > I'm developing a package for both Splus and R, and I'm trying to use all the
>> > same files for R and Splus, both function files and help files.  I have two
>> > questions.
>> >
>> > 1) The file made by R CMD check to run .Rd-examples posts examples from files in
>> > alphabetical order.  Is it okay/recommended/common-practice to set up all the
>> > example data in the first two (alphabetically-sorted) examples and assume that
>> > data exists for the rest of the examples?
>>
>> That does not work: the workspace is cleared after each help file.  As
>> from the next release, the search path is restored too.
>>
>> > 2)  Since data() is not understood by Splus, I don't want to put a
>> > 	     > data(example.data)
>> > in the sgml file because then the Splus example would not run as data() doesn't
>> > exist there.  Is there a spot I can make sure this data is loaded when running
>> > the examples, but not to load the data every time you load the library, as it
>> > would take up unnecessary space.  It is a ~~220 x 25 data.frame, is that enough
>> > size to worry about this?
>>
>> Probably not: but use object.size() to find out.
>>
>> > I'm considering using the NAMESPACE or .First.lib() within zzz.R but that would
>> > load the data every time the library is loaded.  Also considering something
>> > like:
>> >
>> > In the example but that would create confusion for users.
>>
>> Take a look at how package MASS does this, via a promise.
>>
>> --
>> Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
>> Professor of Applied Statistics,  http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/~ripley/
>> University of Oxford,             Tel:  +44 1865 272861 (self)
>> 1 South Parks Road,                     +44 1865 272866 (PA)
>> Oxford OX1 3TG, UK                Fax:  +44 1865 272595

rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington
Biostatistics, SCHARP/HVTN          Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
UW (Tu/Th/F): 206-616-7630 FAX=206-543-3461 | Voicemail is unreliable
FHCRC  (M/W): 206-667-7025 FAX=206-667-4812 | use Email

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}