[R] browseURL question

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Feb 28 09:00:54 CET 2004

The problem is the interpretation by the shell used on Unix: on Windows no
shell is used. It seems to me that the Unix version of browseURl should be
quoting `url' in

    remoteCmd <- if (isLocal)
        switch(basename(browser), "gnome-moz-remote" = , open = url,
            galeon = paste("-x", url), kfmclient = paste("openURL",
                url), netscape = , mozilla = , opera = , {
                paste("-remote \"openURL(", gsub("([,)])", "%\\1",
            })
    else url

either by escaping & by \ or surrounding it by single quotes.

I can't see a simple solution for you with the present R codebase.