[R] LME, where is the package?

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Sat Feb 28 09:35:49 CET 2004

Ko-Kang Kevin Wang wrote:

> Hi,

Well, there is also a function lme() in "lme4".
It works for me (even on the outdated R-1.7.1):

  install.packages("lme4")
  library(lme4)
  lme            # yes, the function is there ...

What happens when you type the above lines? Which version of lme4 are
you using? Have you compiled from sources yourself?

Note that the CRAN binary version for R-1.7.x of lme4 is 0.4-4 whereas
the recent version is 0.4-7 which no longer prints

  "This package is in development.  For production work use
  lme from package nlme or glmmPQL from package MASS."

So it's a good idea to upgrade to R-1.8.1 and use a recent version of
the package, if nlme is not what you are looking for ...

Uwe Ligges