[R] RMySQL Not Loading

Arend P. van der Veen apv at capital.net
Sun Feb 29 20:38:52 CET 2004

Hi,

I am having a problem getting RMySQL to run under FreeBSD 4.9.  I am
using R 1.8.1 with latest patches, MySQL 4.0.17 and RMySQL_0.03.tar.gz.
Everything does appear to compile properly.  However when I access the
library I get the following error:

> library(RMySQL)
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library
"/usr/local/R/lib/R/library/RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.so":
  /usr/local/R/lib/R/library/RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.so: Undefined symbol
"getopt_long"
Error in library(RMySQL) : .First.lib failed

I have seen errors like this posted for OS X users.  In that case the
problem was related getopt.  I am running libgnugetopt-1.2.  I was going
to try and install a second private copy of gnugetopt but was not sure
what version I should install and where I should get it from.

Does anybody have any suggestions and what I can do to work around this
?

Thanks in advance,
Arend