[R] comparing classification methods: 10-fold cv or leaving-one-out ?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 6 17:13:13 CET 2004

Leave-one-out is very inaccurate for some methods, notably trees, but fine
for some others (e.g. LDA) if used with a good measure of accuracy.

Hint: there is a very large literature on this, so read any good book on
classification to find out what is known.

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004, Christoph Lehmann wrote:

> Hi
> what would you recommend to compare classification methods such as LDA,
> classification trees (rpart), bagging, SVM, etc:
>
> 10-fold cv (as in Ripley p. 346f)

Not a valid reference:  did you mean Venables & Ripley (2000, p.346f)?
Try reading Ripley (1996), for example.

> or
>
> leaving-one-out (as e.g. implemented in LDA)?
>
> my data-set is not that huge (roughly 200 entries)

That's rather small to compare error rates on.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk