[R] Strange parametrization in polr

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jan 8 16:45:08 CET 2004

The problem is not in the book nor the code, but in Mr Carstensen not
looking up the actual reference given in ?polr.

There was a + in early printings of MASS3, and that difference is in the
on-line Errata.  But both the DESCRIPTION file and ?polr are explicitly to
the fourth edition.  As Thomas says, the minus seemed a more natural
parametrization and so we changed to it.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk