[R] Sweave & xtable

michaell taylor pols1oh at bestweb.net
Thu Jan 8 22:23:08 CET 2004

I am just starting to learn Sweave (really neat tool).  I am pretty
early in the learning curve (I had to think a moment ago whether a # or
% was the appropriate comment character).

I have successfully incorporated simple graphics and outputs, but am
having trouble getting a latex (xtable) table to function properly.
Latex is seemingly treating the xtable code as input or verbatim text.
That is, if I run Sweave('myfile.Snw', echo=T) I get the latex syntax
xtable code handed to me twice in the myfile.dvi.  Turning echo off, I
get the xtable code (not the nicely formated latex table) back in the
dvi.

There seems nothing wrong with the myfile.tex file itself.  (I attach a
snip below).  Everything run fine if I manually edit the myfile.tex file
and delete the :

\begin{Schunk}
\begin{Soutput}

and,

\end{Soutput}
\end{Schunk}

commands.  Dropping these, I get the properly formated latex table in
the dvi.

I see that others have used xtable, so I assume Sweave.sty handle xtable
ok.

What am I missing?

code and output chunks follow....

===snip=====
n<- xtable(final[,1:3])
@
\begin{tiny}
<< trial>>=
print(n)
@
\end{tiny}
\end{document}
===snip===

which produces

===snip===

\begin{tiny}
\begin{Schunk}
\begin{Soutput}
% latex table generated in R 1.8.1 by xtable 1.2-2 package
% Thu Jan  8 16:03:23 2004
\begin{table}[ht]
\begin{center}
\begin{tabular}{rrrr}
\hline
 & shares & invested.sums & weighted.price \\
\hline
JBLU & 5.78 & 260.00 & 44.68 \\
IYR & 25.12 & 2395.00 & 94.48 \\
WM & 41.09 & 1565.00 & 38.00 \\