[R] problems with large data

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 9 12:00:20 CET 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, PaTa PaTaS wrote:

> I exprerienced a problem with large data sets in R: I cannot import
> these data via procedure "read.table" (insuficient memory) and some
> other functions end with the same expception. Could you tell me how to
> handle large data sets in R?

We need more details.  Have you followed all the hints in ?read.table and
the Data Import/Export manual?  If you have, then probably your data set
is too large for the memory of your version of R, and the simplest
solution is to get more memory.

To be more helpful we would need full details of the dataset and of the
commands you used and the environment you are using (OS, how much RAM and
how much virtual memory at least).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk