[R] Call and memory

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sat Jan 10 10:09:04 CET 2004

On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Thomas Lumley wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Jan 2004, Bob Wheeler wrote:
>
> > I use a large real matrix, X, in C code that is passed from R and
> > transposed in place in the C code. I would like to conserve memory and,
> > if possible, allocate space for only one copy of X -- hence I would like
> > to pass a pointer to the data in the X object to the C code.
> >
> > The Writing R Extensions manual says that neither .Call nor .External
> > copy their arguments. They also say that these arguments should be
> > treated as read only.
> >
> > Fine, but in testing I seem to be able to transpose very large X's in
> > place, in C code without an error. This leads me to assume that the
> > manual was just giving good advice about treating arguments as read
> > only. However, I find that I have done nothing to the X in R. It seems
> > that a copy has been made after all. I may as well call the code with .C
> >   and avoid the use of macros.
> >
> > Could someone please point out the error in my thinking or suggest a way
> > to accomplish my goal?
> >
> > My code follows:
> >
> > "mListTest" <-
> > function(X,N,k) {
> >
> > 	.Call("mList",as.double(X),as.integer(N),as.integer(k));
> > }
> >

> as.double(X) returns a copy of X, so you are only passing a copy to C.

storage.mode(X) <- "double" is the standard paradigm to avoid an copy here
if not needed (even with .C, which would make two copies of X on entry and
one on exit).

Both arima() and the Kalman fitering code used by StructTS() makes use of
the ability of .Call to alter its arguments, so the advice given is
definitely right.

It is hard to predict when R will make a copy, not least because from time
to time we spot an unnecessary copy or add a necessary one.  So if you do
want .Call to alter its arguments you need to test your assumptions (and
retest when R is updated).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk