[R] R killed on Solaris

Ott Toomet otoomet at econ.dk
Tue Jan 13 17:12:43 CET 2004

Hello,

I am running a preliminary data-processing job on solaris.  Basically,
the program reads a large number of ascii-lines (about 1M) by blocks
(size 25000 lines), selects suitable observations (around 5000) and
writes the results into a dataframe for latter processing.

The problem is that when I run the job interactively (in emacs/ESS),
everything works fine.  If I try to run it from shell using R CMD
BATCH, R will be killed after around 100 000 lines.  Solaris says
simply "killed" and thats it.  The total memory consumption seems not
to be a problem, around 200M on a 4G machine.

Any suggestions?  Has anyone else seen something similar?

Best wishes

Ott
---
this is R 1.7.1, compiled as 32-bit appication, on 64bit sparc solaris
9 (sunos 5.9).