[R] Installing the Rcmdr and tclk package

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jan 14 09:59:46 CET 2004

    Gerald> Hello R-users,
    Gerald> Version 1.8.1 on a 64-bit Solaris 5.8 OS

    Gerald> I am trying to instal the Rcmdr package for which the tclk package is
    Gerald> required.  Once both package installed I issued the command:

    >> library(tcltk)

    Gerald> and received the following error message

    Gerald> Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
    Gerald> Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
    Gerald> Error in library(tcltk) : .First.lib failed

    Gerald> Upon which I searched for Tcl and Tk on our system
    Gerald> and didn't find them, hence I requested the
    Gerald> admin. person to get them from the "sunfreeware"
    Gerald> site and install them.  The packages are now
    Gerald> installed under "/usr/local", same place than R is
    Gerald> installed.  If I open a shell and cd to this
    Gerald> directory and type "tcl" at the Unix prompt "tcl"
    Gerald> starts.  But if go back in R and try the
    Gerald> "library(tcltk)" command I receive the same error
    Gerald> message as above.

You need to re-install R.  Yours has "remembered" that tcl/tk is
not available.  In particular, do call  ./configure  again and probably
make will be sufficient (otherwise clean the whole installation
and configure; make; ...).

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><