[R] rcmd check question.

Ben Bolker bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Wed Jan 14 22:34:22 CET 2004

  I was getting similar errors, which I finally tracked down to the
following:

  I had accidentally left an extraneous "test.R" in my pkg/R directory;
that file contained a system call to an external program that created a
particular file, which I then tried to read into R.  The R code that
triggered the error from .tryQuietly was the attempt to open the file. I
figured this out by stripping the "test.R" file down to

system("test1.bin")
con <- file("test.out","r")

where "test1.bin" is a binary executable that produces a file called
"test.out".

Wrapping the lines above in a function, so they don't get executed when R
evaluates the code, also gets rid of the problem.

  Apparently (I surmise) R does find the binary (replacing
system("test.bin") with system("junk") produces a warning message), but
the file that gets created gets cleaned up or put somewhere other than the
current working directory.

620B Bartram Hall                            bolker at zoo.ufl.edu
Zoology Department, University of Florida    http://www.zoo.ufl.edu/bolker
Box 118525                                   (ph)  352-392-5697
Gainesville, FL 32611-8525                   (fax) 352-392-3704