[R] Lattices: Cloud: Background

Mulholland, Tom Tom.Mulholland at health.wa.gov.au
Fri Jan 16 07:51:10 CET 2004

When I first started using lattice I found the colour schemes a bit
confusing. So eventually I came up with the colours I wanted.

The code below was one of those attempts. One thing that happened
however was that I kept shutting down the graphics window that pops up
and the colours would revert to their default. So if you run all of the
code the first window will pop up correctly the system will pause for 5
seconds, close the window and run the code again. When the code runs it
reverts to the grey background.

Keep persevering because when it all comes together you can produce some
very good looking graphics.

Note: Not all the colours on the plot are set using lset. The text in
the key is set directly within the xyplot call.

require(lattice)

SetAltColBlue <- function(x=NULL)
{
        lset(list(background = list(col = "transparent"),
        add.text=list(col="yellow",cex=1.3),
        add.line=list(col="navy",cex=1.3),
        bar.fill = list(col = "transparent"),
        box.rectangle = list(col = "grey"),
        box.umbrella = list(col = "grey"),
        box.dot = list(col="grey"),
        dot.line = list(col = "grey"),
        dot.symbol = list(col = "grey"),
        plot.line = list(col = "grey"),
        plot.symbol = list(col = "grey"),
        regions = list(col = heat.colors(100)),
        strip.shingle = list(col = c("steelblue1")),
        strip.background = list(col = c("navy")),
        reference.line = list(col = "navy"),
        axis.text=list(col="navy",cex=0.8),
        axis.line=list(col="grey50"),
        superpose.line = list(col = c("navy", "navy", "navy",
        "navy", "navy", "navy", "navy"), lty =
1:7,lwd=c(1.5,1.5,1.5,1,1,1,1)),
        superpose.symbol =
list(col=c("steelblue1","navy","blue","black")),
        par.xlab.text = list(col="navy",cex=0.9),
        par.ylab.text = list(col="navy",cex=0.9),
        par.main.text = list(col="navy",cex=2),
        par.sub.text = list(col="navy",cex=0.8),
        box.3d=list(col="grey")))
}

SetAltColBlue()
 data(iris)
 xyplot(Sepal.Length + Sepal.Width ~ Petal.Length + Petal.Width |
Species,
        data = iris, allow.multiple = TRUE, scales = "free",
        layout = c(2, 2),
        main="Title",sub="sub text",
        auto.key = list(col="steelblue4",x = .6, y = .7, corner = c(0,
0)))

bringToTop()
Sys.sleep(5)

dev.off()
 data(iris)
 xyplot(Sepal.Length + Sepal.Width ~ Petal.Length + Petal.Width |
Species,
        data = iris, allow.multiple = TRUE, scales = "free",
        layout = c(2, 2),
        auto.key = list(x = .6, y = .7, corner = c(0, 0)))

Ciao, Tom

Tom Mulholland
Senior Policy Officer
WA Country Health Service
Tel: (08) 9222 4062

The contents of this e-mail transmission are confidential and may be
protected by professional privilege. The contents are intended only for
the named recipients of this e-mail. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, reproduction,
disclosure or distribution of the information contained in this e-mail
is prohibited. Please notify the sender immediately.