[R] error message in plot(aov-object) -- repost

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Jan 16 13:29:36 CET 2004

Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de> writes:

> plot.lm() produces the error message, in particular the lines
>
>     hii <- lm.influence(x, do.coef = FALSE)$hat
>
> which appears to be 1 in some cases, and
>
>     rs <- r.w/(s * sqrt(1 - hii))
>
> (you get a division by zero and the outcome is Inf, hence it's not
> possible to scale the plot any more).
>

> I'd call it a bug, but I don't know what the bug really is. I'll think
> about it...

If the $hat is 1, then the residual is theoretically zero and you
should get 0/0 == NA which would be much less trouble.

Apparently, floating poing arithmetic makes it not quite so and you
get Inf in some cases. I'd expect that rs[hii==1] <- NA would fix
things up, although you might possibly need a fuzz factor (hii >
1-1e-10 or so).