[R] generate random number of any given distribution

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Jan 17 01:47:40 CET 2004

Hello, Yan:

      Are you aware that for all the standard distributions, R provides
the probability density, the cumulative distribution function, the
quantile function, and random number generation?  When you said,
"besides uniform and gaussian", I wondered.  The convention is that the
first letter of the function is d, p, q, and r, for these 4 functions,
followed by the name or abbreviation of the distribution.  Thus, rexp =
random numbers for the exponential distribution, rbeta = beta r.n., rt =
Student's t, rf = F distribution, etc.

      hope this helps.
      spencer graves