[R] Compiling R, cannot open vars.mk

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jan 19 16:24:44 CET 2004

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004, Arne Gjuvsland wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I am trying to compile R-1.8.1 on an alphaserver running Tru64 Unix.
> I use the compilers cc,cxx and f77. After the compilation
> I try: make check
> and get the following message:
>
> Make: Cannot open /share/make/vars.mk.  Stop.

Some context would have been very helpful.

> Does anyone have any suggestions on why?

Do you have R_HOME set (to an empty string)?

Is this GNU make, and if not can you try GNU make?

Otherwise, more information please, including if this is GNU make
(probably not) and what directory make is working in (or at least the
preceding 10 lines of output).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk