[R] png support on R debian sid 1.8.1 binary

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Jan 19 17:44:25 CET 2004

On Mon, Jan 19, 2004 at 11:17:48AM +0000, Angel - wrote:
> I have updated my R to the current R version (1.8.1) using apt-get of the R
> binaries for debian sid in cran.
> Now, when I do:
> png(file="myplot.png")
> I get:
> Error in X11(paste("png::", filename, sep = ""), width, height, pointsize,
> :
>        unable to start device PNG
> In addition: Warning message:
> No png support in this version of R

Confirmed -- it's a bug in the Debian package. I'll upload a new revision. [
Incidentally, my unreleased 1.9.0 snapshots already have the following
changelog entry:

  * debian/control: Added to Build-Depends
     libpaper-utils for paperconf
     libjpeg62-dev for jpeg (thanks to Kurt Hornik for the suggestion)
     libprce3-dev for pcre
     linpng12-dev for png
     zlib1g-dev for zlib

]

> what do I have to do to get the png support?

Either one of a) wait for 1.8.1-2, b) try the testing build available on
CRAN which may have png support or c) re-build it yourself.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Dirk

--
The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page