[R] Roracle pre-compile error?

Michael Mader m.mader at gsf.de
Tue Jan 20 13:15:37 CET 2004

Hi

as the Error message tells you: proc (the Pro*C precompiler of Oracle)
is not in the $PATH variable. Perhaps you try to compile on a Oracle
Client box w/o the complete development client?

Regards

Michael
Christian Schulz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> trying ROracle failed? I'm using Oracle.8.1.7 which is on another machine.
> With Tora i get access to the database what i wish to get with R-Project, too.
>
> What does the message mean?
> "Oracle pre-compiler proc not in /opt/oracle/OraHome1/bin/proc
> you may not be able to compile ROracle"
> I'm using linux sue9 and R.1.8.1.
>
> many thanks for any help!
>
> [snip]
> install.packages("ROracle")
> trying URL `http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/PACKAGES'
> * Installing *source* package 'ROracle' ...
> creating cache ./config.cache
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... cc -E
> ROracle configuration warning:
> Oracle pre-compiler proc not in /opt/oracle/OraHome1/bin/proc
> you may not be able to compile ROracle
>
> updating cache ./config.cache
> creating ./config.status
> creating src/Makevars
> creating src/Makefile
> ** libs
> R CMD COMPILE RS-DBI.c
> make[1]: Entering directory `/tmp/R.INSTALL.2743/ROracle/src'
> gcc -I/usr/lib/R/include -I/usr/local/include -I/opt/gnome/include
> -D__NO_MATH_INLINES -mieee-fp -fPIC -c RS-DBI.c -o RS-DBI.o
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/R.INSTALL.2743/ROracle/src'
> proc CODE=ANSI_C MODE=ORACLE INCLUDE=/usr/lib/R/include \
> PARSE=NONE LINES=false RS-Oracle.pc
> make: proc: Kommando nicht gefunden
> make: *** [RS-Oracle.c] Fehler 127
> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'ROracle'
> ** Removing '/usr/lib/R/library/ROracle'
>
> Delete downloaded files (y/N)? y
>
> Warning message:
> Installation of package ROracle had non-zero exit status in:
> install.packages("ROracle")

Michael T. Mader
Institute for Bioinformatics/MIPS, GSF
Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1
D-85764 Neuherberg
0049-89-3187-3576

response time (n.) An unbounded, random variable Tr associated with a
given TIMESHARING system and representing the putative time which
elapses between Ts, the time of sending a message, and Te, the time when
the resulting error diagnostic is received.
	S. Kelly-Bootle, The Devil's DP Dictionary