[R] evaluation of discriminant functions+multivariate homoscedasticity

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 20 15:37:36 CET 2004

These topics are not much used by trained statisticians.  In particular,
the tests such as 1) are so sensitive to multivariate normality as to be
almost no practical use.

Even if the assumptions of multivariate normality hold, the standard
arguments of the robustniks hold here too:  the departure from the
homogeneity assumptions hurts you before statistical signifcance is
reached, and it is better to act as if the homoscedasticity does not hold
(so use QDA or a regularized version of it).  But then multivariate
normality almost never comes close to holding true outside simulation
experiments.  We do teach LDA and QDA, but mainly to point out that
logistic discrimination is a much safer procedure.

If you want to do statistics like SPSS does, I suggest you use SPSS.
R is not a substitute for SPSS -- in particular it lacks a lot of
legacy material that the much older packages have.  But as R is highly
programmable, you can add these tests if you want to.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk