[R] avas and ace

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Tue Jan 20 17:18:15 CET 2004

On 01/20/04 17:34, frat zdemir wrote:
>Hi,
>Does any one know how we can decide on the correct transformation in (avas and ace)
>after having drawn the graphs  y,g(y)   x ,s(x)  and g(y) ,s(x) . Is it possible by
>only looking at patterns the graphs follow for example when
>y ,g(y) shows a logaritmic pattern can we say that log transform on y is suitable?

It seems to me that the point of avas() and ace() is to arrive at
a transform that meets the criteria of each procedure but is not
necessarily based on some simple functional form like the
logarithm.  The lack of restriction to any particular functional
form is what is particularly useful.

You might, however, compare a simple function to the results of
avas or ace.  The output of each function consists of the
transformed values ty (the dependent variable) and a matrix of
predictors tx.  You also get y and x.  You can access these as
follows:

ace1 <- ace(..[all your stuff]..)
ace1$ty
ace1$y
etc.

If you think that ty is the log of y, then plot ty as a function
of log(y) and see if you get a straight line.  Or test for
linearity however you like.

Home page:            http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
R page:               http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/