[R] problem with rcmd build R-devel

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Jan 20 23:04:04 CET 2004

Hi All,

I am having a problem with Rcmd build using R-devel on WinXP. If I try
to build a package using the --binary flag, I get the following error:

Error: cannot change to directory ' 'c:/TEMP/Rbuild.XXXX'  '

Where XXXX is some number. I can get Rcmd build to work using R-1.7.1
and R-1.8.0, so I don't think it is a permission problem. I looked at
the build file, and the relevant portion appears to be the same in all
versions:

 if($opt_binary) {
	my $libdir = "${R::Vars::TMPDIR}/Rbuild.$$";
	mkdir("$libdir", 0755)
	    or die "Cannot create directory '$libdir'\n";

If I do Rcmd install --build, I get a built .zip file, but it appears
that the temp directory is never used.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Jim