[R] Mac OS X and R

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Jan 21 22:38:15 CET 2004

rossini at blindglobe.net (A.J. Rossini) writes:

> Vincent Philion <vincent.philion at irda.qc.ca> writes:
>
> > Le 21 janv. 2004, à 15:19, Prof Brian Ripley a écrit :
> >
> >> - the MacOS X platform is a rather (very?) unusual Unix-alike.
> >>

> > Why is that? Isn't Darwin (the Unix core of OSX) a standard FreeBSD
> > Unix system?
>
> Sure, but you aren't just using the core, and it starts to morph away
> as you get further from the core...

That's certainly true for the X11/Tcl/Aqua/Carbon/Cocoa/whatever mix,
as well as consequences of having files put into nonstandard
locations. The OS X way of doing dynamic libraries also seems to be
biting a few people though, and I'd call that a core issue. I don't
think it is doing that the FreeBSD way, is it?

Of course, it is not like we haven't had trouble compiling for IRIX,
HP-UX, Digital Unix,....