[R] Axes Ticks

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jan 22 20:12:40 CET 2004

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 01:32:29PM -0500, ivo welch wrote:

> Apologies, basic question on plot.
>
> 	y <- c(-4,3,-2,1);
> 	x <- c("time 1", "time 2", "time 3", "time 4");
> 	plot(x,y, type="b");
>
> of course fails.
> 	x <- 1:4
> makes it succeed, but then I have too many ticks on my X axis.  I want
> exactly 4 tickmarks.  It would also be nicer if I could name the ticks.
>
> I looked at ?par and Venables&Ripley, and tried the lab and xaxp
> parameters.  I could not figure out how to use them productively.  could
> someone please let me know?  help appreciated.  /iaw

y <- c(-4,3,-2,1)
xlab <- c("time 1", "time 2", "time 3", "time 4")
x <-1:4
plot(x,y, type="b", axes=FALSE)
axis(2)
axis(1, at=x, labels=xlab)
box()

If you use 'axis(1, at=x)' you can do without xlab, but get only the bare
numbers. box() is needed to frame the whole thing as the default axes=TRUE
for plot() does.

Gruss,  Dirk

--
The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page