[R] Re-Post: Combining Factors in model.matrix

Paul Boutros Paul.Boutros at utoronto.ca
Mon Jan 26 08:30:57 CET 2004

> On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 paul.boutros at utoronto.ca wrote:
>
> > I didn't get any response on this before, leading me to believe
> > I've missed
> > something fundamental.  Can anybody guide me in the correct
> > direction for more help on this?

Thanks for your reply:

> You will need to explain to us why the object you list is `the design
> matrix': have *you* a reference for that?  R is doing the conventional
> thing, and I at least have no idea where your example comes from.

Perhaps I have used the wrong terminology?  My understanding of a design
matrix is that it identifies the factors are present for a given experiment.

Here, I have a two factor experiment, where each factor has two levels.
In the case I gave:
   t1 t2
1   1  0
2   1  1
3   0  0
4   0  1

I had expected this to represent four distinct experiments where
factor one is present in the first two and absent in the second two.

> You seem to have coded variables t1 and t2 the opposite ways (the
> reference level is 2 for t1 and 1 for t2), and your model has the fit at
> levels t1=2,t1=1 constrained to pass through the origin.  I don't think R
> has a simple syntax for that (although you can fake anything), and I find
> it hard to believe that is actually what you want.

That wasn't my intention, I want to retain the intercept term and
not constrain it to pass through the origin.

Paul