[R] HTML help pages

Damon Wischik djw1005 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 27 13:11:33 CET 2004

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> Did you check the rw-FAQ?  It says
>  If the help search system does not work _at all_, this probably
>  indicates that Java support is either not installed or not enabled in
>  your browser.  Recent versions of browsers have made Java support
>  optional: for example it is optional in Netscape 6/7 and in Opera, and
>  may not be installed for IE6 on Windows XP.  You also need JavaScript
>  enabled.

I might add one can test if Java support is installed+enabled by going to
  http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.jsp
This is Sun's java test page.

My situation is that Java support is installed+enabled, but R help is
still not working. This indicates some issue to do with the
Javascript/Java interface. It might be paranoid security settings, though
I've turned of all the security options I can find.

Is there anyone running Mozilla Firebird 0.6 or 0.7 on Debian 3.0 who has
got HTML searching to work?

Damon.