[R] Re: Help with Hmisc/Design installation in R-aqua (apple)

Bema Bonsu bbonsu at columbus.rr.com
Wed Jan 28 16:19:10 CET 2004

Thanks, all, for your responses to my earlier email about installing the
Hmisc and Design libraries created by Harrell FE Jr.

This was the body of my email requesting help:

"I have tried, unsuccessfully, to install the Hmisc and Design libraries
(Harrell FE Jr) in R-aqua (Apple). These libraries are in source code only
(i.e. not yet in ready-to-use binary format). Unfortunately, when I download
the libraries in source format and attempt to install them directly or
manually, I get an error message that states the following:

Warning messages:
1: Installation of package Design had non-zero exit status in:
install.packages(ui.pkgs, CRAN = getOption(where), lib = .libPaths()[1])
2: Installation of package Hmisc had non-zero exit status in:
install.packages(ui.pkgs, CRAN = getOption(where), lib = .libPaths()[1])"

These are the responses that I got:

"You need to look at the output of INSTALL.  One way is to go to
Preferences and select the items that send stdout and stderr to the R
console.  You will then get R INSTALL error messages, which should explain
the problems.

-thomas"

"I bet you don't have all the fortran and c compilers installed that Hmisc
is looking for.  It also needs a LaTex distribution.

in linux, I'd open a terminal, su to root, then run R, and then

> install.packages("Hmisc")

Usually there are messages that follow saying that it tried to get the
source code and then it wil ltry to build. To figure out what's wrong, we
need to see the output of the attempted build.

pj"

Thanks thomas and pj. As requested I am attaching the generated error
message when I attempt to install the Hmisc and Design packages. What do I
do next?

* Installing *source* package 'Hmisc' ...
** libs
g77   -fno-common  -g -O2 -c cidxcn.f -o cidxcn.o
ERROR: compilation failed for package 'Hmisc'
** Removing '/Users/bema/Library/RAqua/library/Hmisc'

make: g77: Command not found
make: *** [cidxcn.o] Error 127

Once again many many thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Bema Bonsu