[R] Loglienar models

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Thu Jan 29 16:25:14 CET 2004

Dear Harry,

There are two ways to fit loglinear models of which I'm aware and probably
more that I don't know: The loglin() function fits loglinear models by IPF;
there's a convenient front end, loglm(), in the MASS package (one of the
recommended packages). As well, you can fit loglinear models as Poisson
generalised linear models using the glm() function. At least in the latter
case, you can do model selection via step().

I hope that this helps,
  John

At 08:58 AM 1/29/2004 -0500, Harry Khamis wrote:
>Hello,
>
>    I'm planning to start using R.  Before getting into it, I'd like to
> ask a couple of questions.  Does R carry out loglinear model analysis?
> That is, will it provide the chi-squared goodness of fit test statistic
> for a given hierarchical loglinear model?  Maybe even do a model
> selection procedure (like Brown's two-step procedure, or forward/backward
> selection)?  Thanks for your help.
>---Harry Khamis
>
>--

John Fox