[R] Running R remotely in Windows Environment? - Xemacs and ssh

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jan 30 02:02:57 CET 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 04:17:48PM -0800, Vadim Ogranovich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While we are on the topic of "Running R remotely in Windows Environment"
> maybe someone could help with the following specific problem. I run R on
> a Linux box from my WindowsXP laptop. I do so via Exceed, which for some
> reasons is inconvenient for me.
> As an alternative I tried to ssh into the linux machine and then run R.
> This worked fine from Cygwin's bash window, but not from under XEmacs
> (native Windows port). After starting ssh Xemacs complained:
> "Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a terminal"
> and didn't show the prompt. Did anyone figure out how to remotely run R
> from under (X)Emacs on Windows using ssh?

Cygwin can now run an X11 server for you, and it can do it such that the
normal win2k/xp/... window manager controls things -- you need a special
switch the name of which I cannot recall right now (and the windoze system
is at work). Look into the supplied startxin.{bat,sh} which has the line
commented.

So with X11 running on windows machine, you can get via 'ssh -X host' and
get any X11-compliant app back to your windows system.

Hth, Dirk

--
The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page