[R] memory problem for R

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jan 30 09:38:05 CET 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004, Yun-Fang Juan wrote:

> Here is the exact error I got
> ----------------------
> Read 73 items
> Error: cannot allocate vector of size 1953 Kb
> Execution halted
> -----------------------
> I am running R on Freebsd 4.3
> with double CPU and 2 GB memory
> Is that sufficient?

Clearly not.  What is the structure of your `attributes'?  As Andy Liaw
said, the design matrix may be bigger than that if there are factors
involved.  (And you need several copies of the design matrix.)

I would try a 10% sample of the rows to get a measure of what will fit
into your memory.  I have never seen a regression problem for which 600k
cases were needed, and would be interested to know the context.  (It is
hard to imagine that the cases are from a single homogeneous population
and that a linear model fits so well that the random error is not
dominated by systematic error.)