[R] a problem loading package 'subselect'

Rajarshi Guha rxg218 at psu.edu
Fri Jan 30 21:29:49 CET 2004

Hi,
  I downloaded the subselect package from CRAN and installed it in the
system wide R library path. During installation the package compiled the
fortran sources with no errors.

However, when loading the library gives me an error:

> library(subselect)
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library
"/usr/lib/R/library/subselect/libs/subselect.so":
  /usr/lib/R/library/subselect/libs/subselect.so: undefined symbol:
f_iob
Error in library(subselect) : .First.lib failed

I would had expected that if it could'nt find a symbol, that would have
shown up during compilation. But there were no compile time errors. I
also tried R CMD check on the package directory and compilation occurs
with no errors but I get the errors below:

* checking S3 generic/method consistency ... WARNING
Error in .tryQuietly({ : Error in library(package, lib.loc = lib.loc,
character.only = TRUE, verbose = FALSE) :
        .First.lib failed
Execution halted

(And more such errors)

I have contacted the author of the package and he sent me few postings
regarding the f_iob symbol and it appears to be a problem resulting from
a LAPACK compiled with the Intel fortran compiler (ifc). However in this
case, ifc is not installed on my system and during compilation it uses
the Rlapack library.

I installed R from rpm's and am running on Fedora Core 1. The output of
R.version is:

platform i686-pc-linux-gnu
arch     i686
os       linux-gnu
system   i686, linux-gnu
status
major    1
minor    8.1
year     2003
month    11
day      21
language R

It appears I am missing some library that contains f_iob (though why the
error did'nt show up at compile time I dont know).

Has anybody faced this problem or have any suggestions as to how to fix
it?

Thanks,

Rajarshi Guha <rxg218 at psu.edu> <http://jijo.cjb.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 0CCA 8EE2 2EEB 25E2 AB04 06F7 1BB9 E634 9B87 56EE