[R] help computing a covariance

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Jul 2 18:17:48 CEST 2004

      Have you considered Cochran's theorem?  (A Google search just
produce 387 hits for this, the second of which
"http://mcs.une.edu.au/~stat354/notes/node37.html" provided details that
might help.)  By construction, P is n x n, idempotent of rank k, so y'Py
is chi-square(k).  Also, xA is an n-vector in the (rank k) column space
of x;  indeed, PxA = [x*inv(x'x)*x]xA = xA.  I can't see the details now
but I believe you can write (A'x'y)^2 = y'xAA'x'y as a weighted sum of k
independent chi-squares each with one degree of freedom (since x and P
have rank k), and then get what you want from the sum of the weights.
Then check your result using Monte Carlo.

      hope this helps.  spencer graves