[R] options --- na.rm , save-on-exit

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sat Jul 3 18:49:48 CEST 2004

      I presume by "no" Uwe means that there is apparently nothing as
simple as changing "na.rm" to TRUE in "options".

      However, you could redefine the functions "mean" and "median" so
the default was "na.rm=TRUE".  That's easy to do with median:  Type
"median" at a command prompt, copy the result to a script file, modify
it, and source it.  You could also build your own package and attach it
in a leading position in your search path so your version of median,
etc., got used instead of the system version.  Doing this with "mean" is
harder, because is a generic function, which means that you would need
to know how to modify generic functions.

      I would not recommend this.  To take an extreme analogy, I'm
reminded of the old joke about a state senator in the sovereign state of
__________ (you pick it), who declared that 3.14, etc., was too hard for
school children to learn, and it school would be easier if pi were 3.
He therefore introduced legislation to make pi = 3 (in his state, of
course).  You can do that in R, just by typing "pi <- 3" at any command
prompt.  However, it might have unintended consequences.

      hope this helps.
      spencer graves