[R] general questions about R on debian/powerpc

Tamas Papp tpapp at axelero.hu
Mon Jul 5 09:39:30 CEST 2004

Hi,

I am about to but a laptop, and have narrowed the choices down to a
Dell Latitude 600 and an Apple Powerbook G4 Aluminium (Princeton
provides these models at a discount for grad students).

I am biased towards the Powerbook, and would like to run Debian on it.
I have only used debian on i386 platforms so far.  I use R quite
frequently, so I would be interested in your experience of running R
in debian/ppc --- are there any quirks with libraries, any packages
that don't compile, anything that should discourage me from buying a
powerbook or running debian on it, etc.

I would also be interested in your experience with the speed of the
platform.  I have never used a RISC processor before, so I don't know
whether the claims that it delivers much more power per MHz are valid.

Please share anything that you consider relevant.  If you think that
it's not R-related, please send an e-mail to the either address below
instead of the list.

Thanks,

Tamas

--
Tamás K. Papp
E-mail: tpapp at axelero.hu
        tpapp at princeton.edu
Please try to send only (latin-2) plain text, not HTML or other garbage.