[R] System memory

Jason Turner jasont at indigoindustrial.co.nz
Tue Jul 6 03:04:23 CEST 2004

> Dear All,
>
> I have been experiencing the following problem when I use a lot of system
> memory when using R heavily.
What version of R, Xemacs, ESS, and Debian?  What are the "crash" symptoms
(error message?).  Have you tried upgrading everything you can (ESS has
recently released a new stable (5.2.x) version).

As a possible item to check, run

ps ajx | grep R

from a terminal after you exit R from within ESS.  On my Win XP box, I've
found that R sometimes fails to exit cleanly after a q("no"), and remains
running after ESS has tried to disengage.  The ESS "*R*" buffer remains
hung, and Rterm's user CPU usage goes to about 98%.  Killing R from the
task manager stopped this.  The same might (might!) be an issue under
Debian, and killing it from the command line might help.

Cheers

Jason