[R] Generate a matrix Q satisfying t(Q)%*%Q=Z and XQ=W

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Jul 7 20:55:29 CEST 2004

      How about generating matrices (X1|X2), dim(X1) = c(n, k1), dim(X2)
= c(n, k2), with mean 0 and covariance matrix as follows:

(S11 | S12)
(S21 | S22),

with S12 = W, S22 = Z and S11 = whatever you want?  With X = t(X1), and
Q = X2, we have E(XQ) = W and E(Q'Q) = Z.

      This can be done using rmvnorm in package mvtnorm.

      hope this helps.  spencer graves

Stephane DRAY wrote:

> thanks,
> I want to create matrices for simulation purpose (in order to evaluate
> the efficiency of different methods on this simulated data set). So, I
> want to create a data matrix Q (m individuals and r variables). I want
> to specify the variance-covariance structure for this matrix
> (t(Q)%*%Q=Z ) but I want also to create another constraint due to
> another matrix of data. I want that the covariance of Q and X are
> equal to those given in W (XQ=W).
> The example I gave is just to illustrate my problem and perhaps it has
> no solution (I cannot see it because I have no idea how to construct Q
> such as Q=Q1=Q2)
>

> At 00:00 07/07/2004, Spencer Graves wrote:
>
>>      Is a solution even possible for the matrices in your example?
>> I've tried a few things that have suggested that a solution may not
>> be possible.
>>      What can you tell us of the problem that you've translated into
>> this?  I see a minimization problem subject to constraints, but I'm
>> not certain which are the constraints and what is the objective
>> function.
>> For example, are you trying to find Q to minimize sum((Z-X'X)^2)
>> subject to XQ=W or do you want to minimize sum((XQ-W)^2) subject to
>> Q'Q=Z or something else?
>>      If it were my problem, I think I would work for a while with the
>> singular value decompositions of X, W and Z, and see if that would
>> lead me to more information about Q, including conditions under which
>> a solution existed, expressions for Q when multiple solutions
>> existed, and a solution minimizing your chosen objective function
>> when solutions do not exist.  (A google search produced many hits for
>> "singular value decomposition", implemented as "svd" in R.)
>>      hope this helps.  spencer graves
>>
>> Stephane DRAY wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I have a question that is not directly related to R ... but I try to
>>> do it in R ;-) :
>>>
>>> I would like to generate a matrix Q satisfying (for a given Z, X and
>>> W) the two following conditions:
>>>
>>> t(Q)%*%Q=Z  (1)
>>> XQ=W (2)
>>>
>>> where:
>>> Q is m rows and r columns
>>> X is p rows and m columns
>>> D is p rows and r columns
>>> C is r rows and r columns
>>> with m>p,r
>>>

>>> e.g:
>>> m=6,
>>> p=2
>>> r=3
>>>
>>> Z=matrix(c(1,.2,.5,.2,1,.45,.5,.45,1),3,3)
>>> X=matrix(c(.1,.3,.5,.6,.2,.1,.8,1,.4,.2,.2,.9),2,6)
>>> W=matrix(c(0,.8,.4,.6,.2,0),2,3)
>>>
>>> #Create a matrix satisfying (1) is easy:
>>>
>>> A=matrix(runif(18),6,3)
>>> Q1=svd(A)$u%*%chol(Z)
>>>

>>> #For the second condition (2), a solution is given by
>>>
>>> Q2=A%*%ginv(X%*%A)%*%W
>>>

>>> I do not know how to create a matrix Q that satisfies the two
>>> conditions.  I have try to construct an iterative procedure without
>>> success (no convergence):
>>>
>>> eps=10
>>> i=0
>>> while(eps>.5)