[R] Association between discrete and continuous variable

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Jul 12 19:19:07 CEST 2004

      My recommendations would depend on the nature of the discrete and
continuous variables.  What is the application?  Is one variable random
and the other a control variable that might be used to predict?  If the
continuous variable is random, what about using the R^2 produced by
"lm"?  For the case where the discrete variable is random, I just tried
"www.r-project.org" -> search -> "R site search" for "coefficient of
determination for glm".  This produced 4 hits, the first of which (dated
Mon Jul 21 2003) cited 3 papers published between 1991 and 1997.

      Mutual information
(http://www.engineering.usu.edu/classes/ece/7680/lecture2/node3.html),
as you suggest, would be appropriate when you have appropriate models
for the random nature of both variables, separately and together.

      More generally, what problem are you trying to solve with this?
Who will use the numbers?  How will they use them?

      hope this helps.  spencer graves