[R] table lookup n R

Petr Pikal petr.pikal at precheza.cz
Tue Jul 13 15:12:58 CEST 2004

Hi

On 13 Jul 2004 at 14:34, Anne wrote:

> Hello R helpers!
> I looked  but did not find a table-lookup R-utility. I could use a
> loop to do the job (old FORTRAN/C habits die hard) but if I have a big
> table in which I have to search for the values corresponding to a
> vector, I end up logically with a double loop. Is there already such a
> utility? Otherwise, is there a way without loops?

Well, if I understand you correctly, you want to find something in
your table (data.frame)

try:

your.table==your.vector
to get TRUE/FALSE table with same dimensions as your table

and

which(your.table==your.vector, arr.ind=T)

to obtain row/col indices of TRUE values

In case you want something else please try to be more specific.

Cheers
Petr