[R] Help with factanal and missing values

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Tue Jul 13 18:12:53 CEST 2004

Dear Antonio,

Two solutions are to use na.omit() to eliminate observations with missing
data -- factanal(na.omit(datamatrix), factors=n) -- or to use a formula
argument to factanal and pass the data as a data frame via the data argument
-- factanal(~ var1 + ... + vark, factors=n, data=as.data.frame(datamatrix)).

By the way, what factanal() does would conventionally be described as
exploratory, not confirmatory, factor analysis. For the latter, you might
try the sem package.

I hope that this helps,
 John