[R] ROracle - fetch gives empty dataframe

Rado Bonk rado.bonk at jrc.it
Wed Jul 14 10:38:49 CEST 2004

Dear R-users,

I was able to make ROracle package to connect to the DB (Oracle91,
64bit, on Solaris). But after executing siple SQL query, "fetch"
commaned gives me an empty dataframe.

### RORACLE INSTALATION PROCEDURE ###
R CMD INSTALL --configure-args='--enable-extralibs' --enable-oracle32=no
~/tmp/ROracle_0.5-5.tar.gz  #since we have 64bit Oracle9i instalation

PROBLEM: after executing simple statement, from within R, "fetch"
function gives me the empty dataframe:

### CONNECTION, and SQL QUERY EXECUTION
 > ora <- dbDriver("Oracle")
 > con <- dbConnect(ora, "rado/only2admin"
 > dbListTables(con)
character(0)
 > rs <- dbSendQuery(con, "desc * from si_r where id=498")
 > d <- fetch(rs, n= -1)
 > dim(d)
[1] 0 3
str(d)
data.frame':   0 obs. of  3 variables:
$ ID : int
$ DAY: chr
$ R  : num

#### seems like connections has been established
 > dbGetInfo(ora)
$drvName
[1] "Oracle (ProC/C++)"

$connectionIds
$connectionIds[[1]]
<OraConnection:(14939,0)>

$fetch_default_rec
[1] 500

$managerId
<OraDriver:(14939)>

$length
[1] 10

$num_con
[1] 1

$counter
[1] 1

$clientVersion
[1] "0.5-4"

Maybe it is something stupid (and I need just a hint), or may be it is
something major.

Thanks in advance,

Rado Bonk

--
Dr. Radoslav Bonk
European Commission - DG Joint Research Centre (JRC)