[R] list of S3-methods

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Jul 14 14:02:53 CEST 2004

    UweL> Meinhard Ploner wrote:
    >> how can I get a list of all S3-methods (of a package)
    >> such that I know which functions to include in the
    >> S3method() in the NAMESPACE-file?  Maybe separated by
    >> generic=T/F.
    >>
    >> thx Meinhard Ploner Vienna

    UweL> Since one you does not register S3 methods (except for
    UweL> the Namespace file), you cannot get such a list very
    UweL> easily.  You might want to look for function names
    UweL> with a dot in it and then look whether the second part
    UweL> of that name corresponds to a class.

yes;  and for this you can re-use some of the code the current
methods() function has. It *is* doing a very related thing:

Looking for all S3 methods belonging to a given class or to a
given generic.

Martin Maechler