[R] (Newbie) scope of with()

Antonio Prioglio a.prioglio at city.ac.uk
Thu Jul 15 10:01:53 CEST 2004

Hi list,
As I understand statements within with() are local to what is enclosed
within its expression.

As some excellent examples given to me previously have illustrated it is
nevertheless possible to assign the evaluation of an expression to an
external variable like x <- with(data, if(..))

During a "normalisation" phase of data read from a database I have a long
list of statements of the type
participant$longfieldname[is.na(participant$longfieldname)]<-expr(...)
or similar that makes cumbersome reading. (participant is a table of
demographic data)

If there a neat way to do something of the sort
"participant<-with(participant,{...})"

it would make nicer reading.

Apparently attach(), detach() would not do as
fieldname<-expr(fieldname)
creates a new variable and not a change to the value of the field!

Saluti,
Antonio Prioglio

--
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
							Aristoteles

    /"\
    / \