[R] Permutations

Robin Hankin rksh at soc.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jul 15 10:14:48 CEST 2004

hi again

what a stimulating R discussion!  This is R-help at its very best!

I think I understand why you don't want pure inter-block permutations.

My solution would be to realize that weeding out "forbidden" permutations is
quite difficult and time-consuming (also as several people have pointed out
forbidden permutations are very rare, accounting for only a proportion of
(3!)^4/12!  ...about one in 400000).

The extra expense of this weeding process
is likely to outweigh the slight loss of efficiency caused by
generating a forbidden permutation.  My solution would therefore be:

x <- c(1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12)
x.new <- sample(x)

(note the not-inconsiderable advantage of code simplicity!)

I think my algorithm generated repeats because in
it there are only (4!)^3=13284 distinct
permutations; see help(birthday).  The system
above has 12! ~= 4x10^8, much higher.

Hope this helps

Robin

--