[R] row naming

Mike Prager Mike.Prager at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 15 21:01:53 CEST 2004

At 7/15/2004 02:35 PM Thursday, you wrote:
>Hello,
>             If I have a four column data set (with thousands of rows), that
>doesn't have a header, how do I load in this text file, WITHOUT a row added
>for naming(i.e. numbering the rows, 1 2 3 4 5......).
>Also, if a row is added for naming, then will it be actually included in the
>data? That is, will that numbered row be included in analysis I run? (like
>PCA)

I assume you really mean "a column added for naming the rows".  My
understanding is that data frames always have row names, but matrices do
not.  If memory is limiting (probably not), you could read the data into a
matrix instead of a data frame.

To answer your other question, row names are NOT included in any
analysis.  They are saved as character strings anyway, not numbers.

MHP