[R] Stumped on methods

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Fri Jul 16 14:24:31 CEST 2004

Jim Lemon wrote:

> I have been trying to write a "proper" print method for a package, and have
> almost gotten what I want. From a reading of the relevant section in R
> Extensions and the introduction to methods, I've stuck the whole business
> into a character object and used:
>
> NextMethod("print")

Well, it depends.
If you have some inheritance of classes, you may reallay want to use
NextMethod(), but that's not necessary if you want to write your own
print method print.myclass() to print stuff that is not from any
superclass....
Check out how to write methods in, e.g., Venables and Ripley (2000): "S
Programming", Springer.

Uwe Ligges