[R] postscript plotting to 36" roll plotter

Don Isgitt djisgitt at soundenergy.com
Fri Jul 16 15:57:35 CEST 2004

Hello,

First, my thanks to the R developers; it is a wonderful tool and
supports my development and production activities in many helpful ways.
My problem is as follows:

I want to make long (~ 20-30 feet) plots on a HP 755 (36" color roll
plotter) using the R postscript command. I have tried paper="special"
with appropriate width and height, and everything seems ok from the
postscript side. But the plot gets truncated to whatever -o PageSize I
specify (which, of course, makes sense). But using -o w2592 (36" roll
unlimited) truncates to letter. Enough words: here is what I am using now.

postscript("|lpr -P hp755 -o PageSize=ARCHE",
paper="special",width=ww,length=ll)

This limits me to 48 inches (ARCHE=36*48).

In summary, does anyone know the correct  choice of parameters to get a
roll plot without a predefined limit.

I did set ps.options(paper)="default" instead of "letter" and I am using
R 1.8.1 on Linux.

Thank you,

Don

p.s. I am not subscribed to this list, so cc'ing me would be appreciated.