[R] gray background in png

Sundar Dorai-Raj sundar.dorai-raj at PDF.COM
Sun Jul 18 04:13:53 CEST 2004

Hi all,
   I'm having a problem creating png images with trellis.device. I would
like to create many plots with a white background using a sequence
number in the file argument (i.e. "%02d"). The first plot is as expected
with a white background. However, the second and all subsequent plots
have a gray background. I would like all plots to have a white (or
transparent) background. Below is an example:

library(lattice)
z <- expand.grid(A = LETTERS[1:8], B = letters[1:6])
z$x <- z$y <- rep(1, nrow(z))
trellis.device(png, file = "test%02d.png", bg = "white")
lset(col.whitebg())
xyplot(y ~ x | A * B, data = z, layout = c(4, 6))
dev.off()

This is also the case for jpeg and bmp though win.metafile and
postscript do not have this problem. Is this a bug or am I missing
something obvious?

I found one reference that implies this may be expected behaviour but
I'm not sure if I interpretted the comment correctly.

http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/18890.html

 > R.version
          _
platform i386-pc-mingw32