[R] Evaluating the Yield of Medical Tests

Mon Jul 19 23:44:22 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 14:37, Lisa Wang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a biostatistician in Toronto. I would like to know if there is
> anything in survival analysis developed in R for the method "Evaluating
> the Yield of Medical Test" (JAMA. May 14,1982--Vol 247, No.18  Frank E.
> Harrell, Jr,PhD; Robert M. Califf, MD; David B. Pryor, MD;Kerry L.Lee,
> PhD; Robert A. Rosait,MD.)
>
> Hope to hear from you and thanks

I do not have access to the full text of Frank's article, however I read
the brief abstract on Medline and cross-referenced the citation of the
article with content in Frank's book (Regression Modeling Strategies -
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/bin/view/Main/RmS).

Thus, I am going to take a (hopefully well considered) guess that what
you are looking for will be in the combination of the Hmisc and Design
packages, which Frank has kindly made available for R. These are
available for installation from CRAN.

More information on Hmisc and Design is available at:

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/bin/view/Main/RS

which is the link to Frank's site at Vanderbilt. Looking at the authors'
names, Frank was at Duke when the cited article was written.

I suspect that Frank will reply (RSN) with the acceptance or rejection
of my guess, however...  ;-)

HTH,

Marc Schwartz