[R] gcc on AIX is not compatile with R-1.9.1

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Fri Jul 23 01:58:31 CEST 2004

> From: Liao, Kexiao
>
> Hi Uwe Liqqes,
>    Does the successful compilation for R-1.9.1 on AIX 5.1
> depend on the
> IBM AIX compiler for C and C++ (xlc/xlC)? gcc on AIX is not compatible
> with R1.9.1.

I believe GCC will work on AIX, but you most likely need a newer version
than what you have.  I believe the R-admin manual mentioned success with
2.95.

With regard to your other question:  You can compile R w/o having any of
those.  You just won't be able to build the manuals or use the tcltk
package.  Go through the R-admin manual carefully to see how to build R
without tcltk.

Andy