[R] Population simulation.

Thomas Petzoldt thpe at hhbio.wasser.tu-dresden.de
Sat Jul 24 17:58:21 CEST 2004

assuncao.senra at portugalmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> can anyone tell me if R has any special function for simulating the structure
> of human populations? Something like the genetic algorithm?
> I need to simulate a sample of a population with a specific structure. Is
> there something on R that can help me?

Please be more specific, what you want: What type of model or which
state variables do you want to simulate? Differential equations, age
stucture (Leslie matrix model) discrete event simulations of stochastic
subsamples (individuals) ...

BTW genetic algorithms are commonly used to solve optimization problems
and (at least in most cases) not for population models.

Thomas P.