[R] X11 device problem on linux: 100% cpu usage

David Whiting dave_lists at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 27 16:03:09 CEST 2004

--- Barry Rowlingson <B.Rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk>
wrote: > David Whiting wrote:

> > I'm using R 1.9.1 (patched, 5th July) on linux
> > (Mandrake 9.2) and am having a problem with the
> X11()
> > device. Trying to plot(1:10) results in my CPU
> going
> > to 100%
>
> > I'm not sure where to start with identifying the
> > cause. Can someone suggest some things that I
> should
> > look at?
>
>   First off, you can try and figure out if its the
> client (R) or the
> server (your X-windows display server).

[...]

Thanks Barry. I don't have another machine I can play
with at the moment, so I dug out an old R-1.8.1 rpm
and installed that: same problem.  I then tried a
different window manager and the problem disappeared.
So somehow fluxbox (my usual window manager) sees to
be having a proble with R (everything else seems to
run okay in fluxbox). For now I'll just use a
different window manager until I have time to
investigate this further.

Thanks again.

Dave